3 large yams, peeled and cut (You can substitute 2 large cans of yams and make life easier. But fresh yams are best.)
1 cup of sugar
1 stick of butter, softened (Did you hear me? ONE WHOLE stick of butter!)
1 tsp of vanilla
1 tsp allspice
3/4 cup of flour
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1 cup of softened butter
3/4 cup of chopped pecans
1. Boil yams on medium high heat until softened. Then smash them.
2. While yams are boiling, make the topping. Mix flour, brown sugar, and pecans. Cut in butter. (Mom says to mix it with your fingers.) Set aside.
3. Mix the smashed yams, butter, sugar. Mix well, then add egg, vanilla and allspice.
4. Pour into casserole dish. Spread it our evenly. Then spread topping over the top.
5. Bake for 30 minutes or so in a 350 degree oven.