Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving. I love the food, making and eating it. I love family togetherness. And this year I'm a little more thankful for Thanksgiving itself. I think lately I've been noticing how selfish society and the human race has become. Just think about how our culture is starting to view marriage. When did marriage get so selfish? Society suggests that if we don't get what's ours than we need to get out. We've stopped being thankful and we've stopped giving of ourselves to others. God has been reminding me that I have more to give to others. I don't have to be snappy to customer service people at the store or the drive-thru window operators. I'm also reminded this year of all the families that have to eat Thanksgiving at their church or soup kitchen, because they can't find a job and put food on their own table. Hard working families that are trying to make ends meet and simply can't. Families that might lose their homes. Those same families are probably more thankful for the blessings that they do have instead of complaining about what that don't have. Here is my list, in no particular order, of what I'm thankful for:

1. My husband, for loving me unconditionally and showing me what true love really is. That man has been my rock in so many hard times.
2. My loving and faithful God, who will turn my tables of sorrow and grief into tables of joy and rejoicing. If I let go and let him.
3. My children who have taught me so much about myself. I'm thankful for the love I feel for them. That love has blessed me beyond measure.
4. My home, even though sometimes I think it's too small, because at least we have a safe and happy home.
5. Our extended family who also loves our family unconditionally. I have to say I am so blessed with awesome parents and awesome in-laws.
6. My MOPS friends and MOPS itself. I've meet true friends there that don't judge me or the way I mother.
7. The few pounds I've gained the past month, because it means that my family has food and our pantry is full.
8. We have really nice neighbors. Neighbors that we could rely on if there was an emergency.
9. I'm thankful we have one car because at least we have a car that fits our whole family. A car that has been good to us and hasn't needed any repairs. (So far.)
10. I'm thankful for my family's health.
11. I'm thankful for my husband's job even though I sometimes complain that my husband gets home late, because what would we do if he lost his job like so many others have. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Lord for his job.
12. I'm thankful that God has been leading me places that are out of my comfort zone, even though it's very uncomfortable and scary, so I can someday fulfill the plan he has for me.
13. Thank you Lord for giving me a gift of photography. I want to use it to bless others. Let it be a blessing to my family.

Dear Lord, I pray for those families that are struggling to put food on their tables this year. I pray that you bless them. Please show us what we can do to bless someone else this year. Don't let us ignore that little voice that tells us that the person we sit next to in bible study can use a gift that we may have. Even if it's someone we know who can't pay their electric bill and are too ashamed to say it. Let us be Thankful for the things and blessings that we have and to complain less. Amen.

Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Happy McNally Mom said...

I am so thankful that you are in my life. I really truely could never ask for a more wonderful sister. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Wish we could be together but we will see in a just a few weeks for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. Hope you have a blessed day.
love Alisha and family

Gina said...

I love having you in my neighborhood, I'm thankful for your friendship, Michele! I'll be there on Saturday evening, probably around 7:00ish though...see you then!

SillyHille said...

Very well put!
It's easy to let what we have to be thankful for be over looked and focus on what we want or don't have.
I think this year I've also spent a lot more time being thankful!