Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Laney had her fifth birthday yesterday. I can't believe she's five. She's the most caring and giving five year old. She's also very independent and wants to do everything for herself. Yesterday I made her waffles and fried apples for breakfast and then she opened presents. We took Laney, her sisters and her cousins to her favorite bounce house. Then we went Red Robin for Lunch and the Build a Bear store after that. Josh made a prime rib dinner and I made her girly star wars cupcakes. Her favorite character is Luke Skywalker. Happy Birthday Laney Rose!
Saturday, December 27, 2008
Addison in the Rose Petal Cottage Santa brought them.
Addison wanted to continuously be wrapped in the blanket Grandma Sherry made for her.
Daddy and princess Savanna playing light sabers. Our Star Wars fanatic Laney asked Santa for a light saber, so he brought us three!
Savanna in the Rose Petal Cottage.
Everyone with their special quilts from Papa John and Grandma Sherry. If you look closely Savanna is applying lip stuff (what is it with two year olds and their need to use the whole tube in one day?) and Addison is holding up her new toothbrush.
My princesses! Well three of them anyway.
Monday, December 22, 2008
Saturday, December 20, 2008
My husband usually has dessert every night. We bought some blackberries at Costco the other day and I told him to get two boxes so I can make a pie. Every night since then he has been asking me to make the pie. Tonight was the night. We made it a little date. I made homemade blackberry pie with homemade whipped cream. I also have a stove top espresso maker, so I made us two lattes. Yum! Then we played Guitar Hero.
Friday, December 19, 2008
The girls warming up on the couch after playing in the snow the other day.
Tuesday, December 16, 2008
It started snowing yesterday morning, but it didn't really stick until the sun started to go down. Last night the girls got all bundled up and played in the snow. It takes forever for me to get all their snow gear on. It was worth it. They had a good time. Then they came in for some hot chocolate. I have to say, I make some mean hot chocolate. When they woke up this morning and the snow was still there, I decided what better time for a snow and christmas dress photo shoot. They are always begging to wear their dresses. By the time I got them all dressed the snow was starting to melt. But I got some fun ones that I will treasure forever.
I covered her black eye with make-up, but you can still kind of see it. Livi you are Mommy's stinker but you melt my heart.
This girl is getting so big. The toddler is completely gone and my big girl is here. Laney you are so beautiful.
This one is so much like Josh. It takes a really long time to get a picture of her where she isn't frowning or has her head down. I had to bribe her with lots and lots of candy.
Addy, your are the baby and you know it. I love how sweet you are to me, and am holding on to your babyness.
I wish I could have had this for the christmas card. This was before the candy bribes.
Their candy bribe had fallen into the snow and they were searching for it.
Everytime I get done taking their pictures, I'm in awe of how beautiful they are. And how blessed we are to have happy and healthy children.
Monday, December 15, 2008
Friday, December 12, 2008
We (I should say I) wrote letters to Santa today. Laney actually would ask me to write the word she wanted to write and then she would copy what I would write. Then they decorated them with christmas hello kitty stickers and we took them to the santa mailbox at Macy's. I would have taken a picture, but the store has a sign that says no photography. We went and saw Santa after that and took a ride on the carousel. I took pictures of their christmas jammies last night and today they were wearing there christmas shirts.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
Josh was at work today, so he missed the messy craft. He had an emergency root canal yesterday so hopefully he feels better today. Now I know why dentist's make so much money. I'm a little frustrated that our insurance doesn't pay more for a root canal.
Enjoy our gingerbread house.
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Olivia got her first black eye. They were running around like a bunch of crazies and Olivia and Savanna bumped heads. I tell Savanna all the time that her head is a weapon. It's heavy and she swings it around. I've been hit with her dome a few times and it hurts. Olivia was freakin out, like anytime she gets any sort of ouchies, then I looked at her eye and saw a huge welt underneath her eye. Poor thing. It doesn't seem to hurt her.
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
Monday, December 8, 2008
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Welcome to the Christmas edition of getting to know your friends.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Wrapping paper. Even though bags would be easier, it's not as much fun.
2. Real tree or Artificial? Real!!! I actually tried to buy a fake tree last year and I took it back.
3. When do you put up the tree? Day after Thanksgiving. If the tree place would of had them earlier, I would of gotten one.
4. When do you take the tree down? When ever it starts to bug me.
5. Do you like eggnog? NO
6. Favorite gift received as a child? A beautiful purple dress that my great grandmother sewed for me. She also made a matching dress for my doll.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes. But it's a plastic toy one. I'm afraid a pretty one would just get broken in my house. You cant have a broken baby Jesus.
8. Hardest person to buy for? My dad.
9. Easiest person to buy for? The kids, Josh and my brother.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Mail. Because I love to get them in the mail, I love to send them out.
11.Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I don't think I can remember.
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? I love them all, but am fond of the classics like Holiday Inn, White Christmas, and It's a Wonderful Life.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? The past few years, I've found good deals on the toys the kids are asking for before Thanksgiving
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I just did last week for a white elephant party, but I'm not gonna say what the gift was!
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Desserts and baked goods.
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? clear on the tree... and clear outside on the house
17. Favorite Christmas song? I like the ballads like O Holy Night and Carol of the bells This year I'm trying to teach the girls Little Drummer Boy.
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? The past couple of years we have gone to Oregon, this year we are excited to stay home and have family come here. Thanks guys! Can't wait to see you.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer's? No.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? Star
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning!! And one present on Christmas eve.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Traffic and cranky workers at the stores
23. What do you want for Christmas this year? I just want the girls to have a good christmas and our family to get here and have a great time.
24. Favorite ornament theme or color? I'm staring at my tree right now and I just love it. Laney just told me our tree is the most beautiful tree she has ever seen.25. Favorite for Christmas dinner? My husbands prime rib. He is one handsome cook!
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Saturday, November 29, 2008
Friday, November 28, 2008
Savanna was the only one who would sit to take a picture in front of the shark.
Addison is a very happy baby when she wakes up in the morning.
Thursday, November 27, 2008
Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
1. I used to roll my kitchen towels and arrange them in a pretty basket
(Now I stuff them in there)
2. get to sit down at meal times
(now I'm serving seconds, refilling drinks, and repeating "sit on your bottoms please", "keep your hands to yourself", and "don't steel Addy's food!")
3. Organize my clothes in color and style order
(I now have 3 laundry baskets of clean clothes that I dig through every morning. At least they're clean)
4. wished I looked like a swimsuit model
(I just want to loose the 20, 30, 40 lbs. of chubs I've gained from being pregnant for 4 1/2 years)
5. Used to stay up late watching movies with my husband
(I'm asleep the second after the title is shown)
6. Used to judge Mom's at the store with crying or misbehaving kids
(All I have to say is 4 kids, ages 4 and under)
7. Used to sit next to my husband when we went out to eat
(Josh is usually trying to keep the kids seated, I'm holding a couple of kids and the whole restuarant is watching us eat)
8. Used to wear perfume
(I usually smell like peanut butter or whatever was smeared on me at meal time)
9. Go shopping by myself
(I'm lucky to make it out of the house with one or two)
10. Used to think of myself more often
(No one realizes how selfish they were, until the kids and reality, came along. Thanks Lord for the lesson on selfishness.)
Monday, November 24, 2008
Brine: your gonna need a stockpot
4 cups salt
5 cups sugar
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (I use a handful of baby carrots)
2 stalks of celery, also cut
2 onions also cut into pieces
2 leeks also cut (remember to wash of all sand)
3 bay leaves (I use dried)
1 head of garlic cut crosswise (I don't remove the skin)
2 TBLS whole peppercorns
1 TBLS ground cumin
2 teasp crushed red pepper flakes
1 teasp cloves
2 teasp whole allspice (I use ground)
8 cups of water
Boil all of these things until the most of the sugar has desolved (Your house is going to smell amazing)
The Brine has to be completely cooled before soaking the turkey in it overnight. I usually boil the brine on Wen. morning and let it cool in the fridge all day. I put the turkey in a huge ziploc bag that is supposed to be for storage. You can add more water to cover the turkey. Don't forget your turkey has to be completely thawed.
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter softened
2 teasp salt
1 teasp ground black pepper
1 teasp dried thyme
1 teasp ground cumin
1 teasp garlic powder
1 teasp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teasp ground allspice
1/4 teasp ground cloves
1/4 teasp ground nutmeg
You can make this several days in advance, just remember to let it soften before you put it on the turkey. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees, cover that turkey with the spice butter and cook for 30 min. Turn the oven down to 350 degrees, add more spice butter, and cover the turkey with foil. Put the spice butter (we use a pastry brush) on the turkey every 30-45 minutes until the turkey is cooked!
Josh and I made a turkey last weekend. (Because it was $5 and it fed our family for an entire week.) We only used the spice butter, and the turkey was still pretty darn good.
Happy Thanksgiving! MMmm, I can smell and taste the turkey just thinking about it!
Saturday, November 22, 2008
Friday, November 21, 2008
1. Trix are tiny balls that roll all over the floor while I am sweeping.
2. They are multi-colored, and stain my tile floor red, blue, yellow and green.
3. Also stained are our clothes and baby's face and hands.
4. When milk is added they become sticky.
5. Stuck to baby's bottom, my pants and the bottom of four little girls feet.
Oh dear, I just found two in the living room, I'm sure they rolled in there on there own.
The Staples family will not be eating round multi-colored ceral again!
A list of songs that get me moving:
A beautiful day U2
Bleeding love Leona Lewis
Don't stop the music Rihanna (I pretend that my husband is dancing with me in this song)
The Story Brandi Carlile
I like to Move it (from Madagascar 2) will.i.am
Pocket full of Sunshine Natasha Bedingfield
Some cool down songs:
Suite for Solo Cello No. 1 in G minor; Prelude Yo-yo Ma
Dona Nobis Pacem Also by Yo-yo Ma
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
At the grocery store: Watch out, there's a two for one deal in aisle 5.
In the women's section of a department store: I didn't think shopping for a bathing suit was hard enough so I borrowed some children to make the experience easier.
At a restaurant: We asked for the Children Section, they came with the table.
At the mall: Bill Gates will give me a $1 for every time someone asks me that question. I'm on my way to becoming a millionaire, thanks!
In a parking lot: I'm practicing to be part of the 10 clowns tumbling out of a tiny car circus act.
On the sidewalk: I'm a gypsy, do you have any kids for sale?
At home, answering the door: I have a boy and a girl. Wait... *counts the children quickly.* Dang it! *yelling over my shoulder* Tell your father to quit playing with the cloning machine again!
While waiting in line: I don't have any kids. *asked in a psychotic hushed voice* Do you see children?
At school: I'm testing the number of children it takes to drive a person insane.
Anywhere: Yes, we're trying to take over the world.
I found this online and it made me laugh, so I thought I would share.